Thursday, January 21, 2010

Emotionally draining

I tend to avoid emotionally draining patients, so much that I asked another nurse to switch a patient. She was designee and could have had 4 patients but insisted on 5 so she didn't get an admit. I actually don't mind getting admits because they usually don't come until the afternoon and by then I usually have most of my meds, assessments and charting done. The admit didn't even come until about 6pm. And I even got the admission health profile done, so I was happy with that. She ended up being impulsive, climbing over the 4 side rails so had to go into an enclosure bed (this was figured out on night shift; I had a feeling she wouldn't stay in bed, thank goodness for bed alarms and her being fairly steady on her feet).

These 3 days of work went fairly well. I lucked out with not having any patients on contact isolation. I'd rather have restraints than contact isolations. :)

Two lovely ladies from Face in the Mirror came by to pamper our patients with a history of or current dianosis of cancer. They were so pleasant and compassionate, and I'm sure the patients appreciated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment